Birthday Traditions

Today is my birthday so I thought I would highlight the traditions that the British do for birthdays:


  • They do send birthday cards but you are not to open them until your birthday.
  • If it is your birthday, you take a cake to work or a child brings sweets to school or their afterschool clubs.
  • Children do have parties like in the US and the children play games like musical chairs and pass the parcel.
  • They have have a cake and blow out candles like in the US. 
  • When a young man reaches the age of 21, they are often given the key to the front door. It is symbolizes them reaching manhood and said to allow them to come and go as they please. The British also have big parties for the 18th birthday which is usually a night out because you can legally drink!
I am excited to see where the hubby is taking me tonight :)

 All the Best!

American to Britain