I never had these before making them. I replaced the butter with my normal Pure spread and rice milk for the milk for my allergy. The store bought pastry I got was puff pastry. Lucky for me my husband grab the one that is prerolled so these were very easy to do. Mine came out small because I used crumpet rings which are about 3.5 inches in diameter. You could easily do this with children and my husband said that they tasted like they should! Loved them! Making small ones is dangerous because you end up eating more than you intend ;)
Makes: 8-10 Time: 1 hour
- 40g butter
- 75 currants
- 50g mixed peel
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 450g flaky pastry
- Caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 220˚C (Gas Mark 7).
2. Melt the butter in a small pan and add fruit and nutmeg.
3. On a lightly floured workspace, roll out pastry to 15mm thick.
4. Cut out circle about 4 inches in diameter. You should reroll and cut until you have 8-10.
5. Damp edge of pastry circle with water.
6. Place 1-2 tsp of filling in centre of circle.
7. Draw edges to the middle and pinch to seal. Trim away excess.
8. Flip over cakes (seam side down) and flatten slightly until currants begin to show through pastry.
9. Make two slashes on tops with knife.
10. Brush with milk and sprinkle with caster sugar.
11. Place on baking tray and bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown.
12. Sprinkle with more sugar if desired.
All the Best!
American to Britain