Mr B's grandma loved shortbread which is more of a Scottish thing but she was from Durham.
Serves: 12 Time: 30 minutes
100g unsalted butter, softened
60g caster sugar, plus a little extra for decorating
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g plain flour
Pinch of baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C (Gas Mark 4).
2. Line baking tray with greaseproof paper.
3. Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla extract.
4. Mix in other ingredients and roll into a ball.
5. Place on baking tray and flatten into a round of 20cm diameter.
6. Score it with 12 triangles, pinprick lightly with fork and bake for 15-20 minutes.
7. Cut into triangles while warm.
All the Best!
American to Britain