Breastfeeding Support

Most of my posts are scheduled ahead of time, but I might start posting a few in the bits of time I end up having available when Bug is asleep.

This post might be too much information and private for some but thought I would share my experience with others. I do know that the USAF spouses have a great resource with a FB group Meals on Heels which is nice. For me, I felt that once I had Bug, I needed to meet local mommies because she will be going to school with them and meeting other adults is the hardest thing. Plus you guys move too much!

Anyways, I found out that I was not the milk producing cow that I had hoped that I would be. My milk was delayed (it did not come in until day 10) which meant that by the time I tried catching up, it was too late. So while I am able to provide Bug with some milk, I do have to top her up with. I have tried, the hospital grade pumps, baby moons, fenugreek, domperidone, lactation cookies and nursing tea. Whilst my supply did go up a bit, not enough. So not all formula fed kids are because their mom's could not 'hang' with it. I was initially upset and angry with myself but I have come to terms with it and realized I cannot will my body to do what it clearly can't!

Anyways, through my struggle, I found out that there are a lot of great resources available. First off, the midwives were very lovely and helpful as were the health visitors. You see the midwife for two weeks after you give birth and then you are passed back to the GP and the Health Visitor. The Health Visitor watches the progress of your child until they go to school.

The best thing was the breastfeeding groups. I live in Cambridgeshire and there are loads in the local area, here is a list. I suggest trying out a few to see which one suits you. At most of these there is a midwife or a lactation consultant. The one that I liked the most is the Cambridge Homerton one ran by the Cambridge Breastfeeding Alliance. The volunteers here are La Leche League members and they sit with you one on one to address your problems and concerns. This was very helpful for me and Bug.

We were able to see that I was not crazy that my supply was low- most women who think their supply is low, is usually not. They also addressed ways that I can try to increase my supply, correct Bug's latch and most importantly for me that the number one thing is to feed the baby- be it by breast or formula. I felt like such a failure because I had to top her up but Bug needs food to grow and thrive and that is my job as her mother. So I did the right thing and now she is gaining weight and we are doing what we can on my side but she is getting what she needs.

Here are some resources for the Suffolk and Norfolk area:  Also contact your local children's centre. They might be able to tell you when their group meets or where you can find a local one.

But while the virtual group might be easy to access in the evening, I think seeing someone face to face and the support is amazing!

All the Best!

American to Britain

Comments