Saving money on clothes

You may already know that I used to work at Sweaty Betty and I think I may have been one of my best customers while I worked there. After I left that job I took a year off from buying any clothes. It has really bought some things to light for me. When I got out of the Air Force, I felt like I did not know how to dress myself because I spent 10 years knowing what I was going to where for work. Here are some tips that I have:

  1. Take a look at your current inventory. If you have a lot of clothes, you need to do a clearing out to see what you have and if you can wear it multiple ways. Sort your clothes by pile- keep, donate or trash. I once helped a girl organize her closet. She has 25 pairs of jeans! You can only wear one pair at a time!
  2. Make sure that you can wear things with other things. There is no reason to get a super cute pair of shoes if you can only wear them one thing. The more versatile your wardrobe is, the happier you will be and it will also be easier to pack for travel too. I love Gok Wan and his tips! http://scrapbook.channel4.com/experts/gokwan
  3. Know your style. I think I learned this late in the game. Once I knew how I liked to portray myself, then it was easier to buy the key items that I needed. I dare not to think about all the clothes I bought on my credit card because I don't have any of it now. I don't think I was as bad as this lady though! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2546427/How-adding-cost-clothes-curing-shopping-addiction.html
  4. Have a one in, one out system. I hardly ever buy clothes now. Maybe it was my year break, it made me realize that I didn't need anything. I will replace items that I cannot fix but I am not buying for buying sake. In fact, I  have conversations with myself on whether I should buy something and 9 times out of 10 I will decide that I don't need it. I still like to pop into Sweaty Betty and see the girls but I can't justify buying new things because I have drawers full of SB clothes.
  5. Make do and mend- This is so easy to do. Get that sewing needle out and fix the seams instead of throwing it away. If you don't know what you are doing look it up on You Tube, there is so much out there.
  6. If you can't mend it, take it to the professionals. I have had numerous pairs of shoes repaired (my bike pedals are lethal to the soles of some of my shoes) at Timpsons. It costs a fraction of what a new pair would cost me to replace them. 
  7. Shop in the sales. There are generally sales in January and August. So shop ahead for what you need.
  8. Instead of buying new shirts and what not, sometimes all you need is a scarf to finish off that look.
  9. Wear your style, not 'the' style. The fashion industry is just that its an industry. They change back and forth between wedges and stilettos, slightly change the colors that are in fashion and its planned years in advance. Find the items you will wear when its not in fashion and keep that in mind.
  10. Children grow out of their clothes so quickly so you can get gently worn clothes either from the FB groups I always mention or charity shops.
  11. Here are some tips to make the ones you have last longer.
All the Best!

American to Britain

Comments