Convicts to America

Most people know that the Australians was set up by convicts sent from Britain, in fact, many are proud of the fact! What no one tells you though is if America has never had its revolution, it may have never become what it is today.

While I was doing a degree in History,this caught my eye and I thought I would share it with you.

The British sent convicts to America from 1716 to 1776. Once the American Revolution, they first tried to set up a settlement in Africa which did not work and then they sent them to Australia.

There is a complete list from Pete Wilson Coldham of all people who were convicts and sent over to the US. Here is more information from the National Archives about this topic.

I thought it was interesting that this is hardly mentioned when you are taking a history class.

All the Best!

American to Britain

Comments