Saving Money on Mobile Phones

Well, our phone contracts were coming up for renewal this year and Jon and I started looking into what we really needed out of a phone and what we did on our phone. Luckily for me, the last few weeks, my phone was on the fritz and I had not been able to make many emails, texts or calls so had to hold out until I could renew my contract. The reason why I say luckily is because it got me to take a look at how not having a phone affected me. It was nice actually.

Anyways, here are some things you should consider when getting a phone:

  1. What will you use it for? I decided, I did not need that much data usage because I can link to my home WiFi and work WiFi (which is where I am usually). Otherwise, coffee shops and other places have free WiFi if I really need it. So I turn my mobile data off completely unless I need it. I do however needed to use it to tether my iPad when I am doing homework and not able to get that onto WiFi.
  2. I usually text more than anything else and now with apps like Whatsapp and Viber, you can text people back home too. I thought unlimited texts would be good because that is what I do the most.
  3. I did not need the top of the line phone, I just needed a good phone. So I have a Macbook, iPod, iPad and so my husband thought after my Blackberry packed up, surely I would go for the iPhone. I could have gotten a Xperia Z1 for £37 per month for 2 years (costing me a total of £888). But instead I bought the Xperia SP for £40 and pay £22 per month for 2 years (costing me a total of £568). My husband's contract came due the month following mine and he got the same phone for free and at £17 per month (£408 for the 2 years). It does all I need it to do and is saving me loads since we are buying a house soon.
  4. Shop around. I was able to get a good deal by calling my existing carrier and telling them the offers I have found available to me and they were able to match it.
  5. A free phone is never free. Calculate how much it is going to cost you in the long run. Sometimes buying it upfront can be cheaper and then you can be on a SIM only contract.
  6. Recycle your old phone. Jon did this and it covered the cost of a couple of months contract for us.
  7. My friend Jane is the one in her house that uses internet, calls and texting so she put her husband on a pay as you go phone because he only really texts and receives calls. So not having a contract for one of them saves them money.
  8. When I first got here, pay as you go was not as good as a deal as it is today. In fact it can save you money and you are not stuck in a contract.
  9. Compare your usage with Bill Monitor to see if you are getting the most out of your contract or can you get something better suited to you.
I hope that you will find these tips helpful.

All the Best!

American to Britain

Comments