How my life has changed in the first year of being a UK citizen

Wow! It's been a year since I got my UK citizenship!

It was great timing because I got to vote in my first UK election, which happens every five years unless a vote is called early. That was really easy. Did you know that there is no legal right for people to get out of work to vote?

I don't have to worry about the forever changing rules regarding visas or if they need to be a current passport for employment. I even got lucky because I got my citizenship before they made it a requirement to get a biometrics card. Did you know that there is also no legal requirement for UK citizens to have ID cards? They have tried to introduce them a couple of times sine I have been here but the British don't want them!

We went to Nice as a break before Bug arrived and it was so much less hassle coming back into the country. I always was asked how I got my visa. I used to point to Mr B and say it was his fault. Now they just shuffle us on.

When we fly back to the UK, I could join Mr B in the UK/EU line but you had to tell them you had a different passport because they had to stamp it. Now that Isn't an issue.

Also it is nice to be able to share the same citizenship as my husband and daughter. I never really realized how important it was until a friend of mine was applying for hers and was denied.

Now I am looking forward to the upcoming EU Referendum vote on June 23. I have been speaking to a lot of people about this and the views are varied so it will be interesting to watch. I still have not made up my mind.

But it really cements me living here, now I just have to work on my accent. 😉

All the Best!

American to Britain

Comments