Houghton Mill and Waterclose Meadows

Bug and I were in the local area so I thought I would swing by and check out Houghton Mill and Waterclose Meadows.

It is a National Trust property so members are able to get in for and park for free.

I was actually quite surprised when I got there. I thought I was going to just run in, have a quick look around and go. But this place deserved much more than that.

What I am starting to notice (Jane did tell me) that the National Trust are trying to make places more children friendly. This is a tall order when you have a lot of priceless items and children in one place or me for that matter! Mr B always gets nervous when we go somewhere and I have a bag on.

Houghton Mill is the oldest working mill on the Great Ouse. It still mills flour in the traditional way which you can buy to take home and bake your own bread.

You can have lunch or a drink in their tea room or pack a picnic!

There are also many walks that you can take from here to really enjoy your day out. Dogs are allowed on leads on the grounds but not in the mill so bring Fido with you.

We were even lucky enough to see 6 one day old cygnets!

Definitely a place to bring the children for a bit of history, fun and nature. There is open air theatre in the summer, children's trails and other activities during the summer.

They have milling demonstrations on Sundays.

I would say a good two hours to a half day could be spent here especially if you walk the circular walk.

I also had a quick walk around the village and it was so lovely!

See my pictures here!

All the Best!

American to Britain

Comments