West Stow

West Stow has been on my list for quite some time, because it is so close to the bases and I have walked many trails nearby. It just so happened that we had time and the weather was great this weekend.

To be honest, outside of the signs I saw in the local area, I didn't really know what West Stow was. West Stow was a site where Anglo-Saxons lived in 420AD. If you are a home schooler I thought this would be a great day out because it brings history to life.

I used to think that reeanctors of history like this were a bit odd (that opinion may be influenced by the crazy supervisor that I had that would come in with huge bruises from sword fights and was odd anyways). But when Jane and I walked Hadrian's Wall we came across The Ermine Street Guard and they told me that archeologists look at the wear and tear on their equipment as signs of what may have happened back in the day.

I also have to admit I am a fan of the Horrible Histories brand (can be found on the BBC Iplayer) and whilst I think some Americans can be a bit squeamish about what is discussed here, I think it is accurate, informative and fun. So I feel after watching many episodes of Horrible Histories and The Dig, I felt I knew a lot about the Anglo-Saxons but West Stow brought it to life for me and also taught me techniques people use to understand the past. For instance, we don't really know the way that they lived or what their houses looked like but they used techniques to build some buildings based on their interpretations. But they later found that two houses burned down and in the process preserved parts of the houses which gave them a better idea of how they did build.

When we went, there were many actors there providing information on how they cooked, lived and made things. I felt this was invaluable because it is something that is hard to relate to in this day and age and I felt it highlighted how well they had done but how hard life was for them.

Bug loved the playground and they had toilets facilities and a cafe available. I wish I could say that I tried it but with everything looking to be expensive, I am trying to save where I can.

I think it is a place worthy of your visit to put into context the people who lived in the local area and just general history. 

Bug is 6 years old, Year One (Grade 1) so slightly older children would get the most of a visit here. I think she might be a bit more interested in a place like this because I love Horrible Histories!

All the Best!

American to Britain

Comments