Legoland

I spent two fantastic days at Legoland and highly recommend it. It was even better than I had expected. Everything was so well done.

I decided to go over a teacher training day because I thought that it would be less busy but it turns out a few schools had their teacher training the same time and other mums had the same idea. I would say Americans using the American schools should have a look for days that your children are out of school when British children are in to maximise their time at Legoland.

We decided to go for two consecutive days and booked a hotel for two nights so we could drive down the day before we were going and the next night via LegoLand Holidays. My friend had the same idea but  booked in September for the June visit whereas I didn't think about it until March and she was able to book for the Legoland hotel stay for around the same amount as I paid for a partner hotel stay, so the early bird gets the worm!
You may not know me but I go a lot of places but I am also very frugal. We collected a meal deal from Tescos for £3 each on our way to the park and allowed for an ice cream on both days saving quite a bit. We are avid water drinkers so we filled up our water bottles at the refill and refuel stations around the park. Also I packed plenty of snacks!

I didn't find that the lines on the Friday to be too much, nothing out of the ordinary for an amusement park. As I said my friend and I coincidentally planned on going here at the same time. She looked at the list of the rides and made a list for day one and two. I think I approached our visit the same way I do our holidays. I usually do as much as I can at the beginning so I have time to do the other things at the end. So the first day for us, we stayed until 6 pm which meant we got in many rides between 4-6 pm because many people had left. So this was ideal. 

However, if I was going to recommend any ride for people to do first or last, it would be the Sky Lion- this was our favourite!!! My friend went there first both days and didn't have much of a wait. We went around 5 pm on the Friday and it wasn't a very long wait. 

We decided to upgrade and get the reserve a ride for the Saturday because it was probably going to be busier and we weren't staying as late. I felt it worked quite well. How it works is, you look on the app and 'book' your place in line. This is the same amount of time that they guesstimate that the line is taking to move. So you essentially book a virtual person to hop in line for you and you can be waiting in line for other rides. You cannot book more than one ride and you can't arrive early because the staff have to scan you in but you can arrive late. So we would look at the waiting times and book the longer ones on the app and then walk around hopping in the lines that didn't seem so long. I felt that this worked well with a 6 year old because while we did have some waiting, it did not feel excessive. Also as we did most of the rides, the day before, it meant we could be more flexible with what we did the next day.

The rides are broken down in different age ranges- under 3, 3-5, 6 -13 and family fun. To avoid disappointment for younger ones, I would keep to the areas of the rides that they can get on. They  have grouped the rides near each other so this will help avoid tears. 

I would also take the wait times with a grain of salt. There are signs before you go into a line to tell you the expected time of waiting. But they were incorrect on the Friday so we were able to ride a lot more rides than the wait times suggested.

I would not bother waiting in line for the Lego City Deep Sea Adventure. It is not a long ride so a good use of the reserve a ride.

Definitely pack a poncho for the Pirate Falls ride as you get drenched!

I don't think it is necessary to have seen any of the Lego movies or shows to enjoy this amusement park. It was kind of nice that we already had knowledge of the Lego Friends through the show and the Lego sets that we have. 

Also avoid the Lego Gift shop- we spent way too much money!!! ;) They had so much great stuff. We have so much Lego already, when Bug had COVID, I spent a day building the sets and splitting them between upstairs and downstairs so that it feels manageable.

All the Best!

American to Britain

Comments