Do American TVs Work Here?

You are able to bring over your American TV. Many people sign up with AFN so that they can watch their shows from the States.

The TVs here run on different systems on how they are displayed. You can get a converter for your television which will allow you to watch British television if your television is not able to convert on its own. Many people usually get Sky TV they might be experienced at getting you up and running.

Doing research for this blog has told me, the reason for the difference is the ratio of the images being displayed (in case you wanted to know;)

You will need a TV Licence to watch British TV shows and if you watch show online (via your computer). It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence. This money is included in your COLA allowance.

If you do not get TV Licence and get caught having access to the TV (via your TV or internet), you face a maximum fine of £1000 ($1500). Since you get reimbursed for this, don’t risk it.

You can also check if your TV will automatically convert the power. If you look on the back of your TV or any other electrical device, you should see a label with the readings of the range of voltage it can handle. If the range goes up to 240 volts you do not need to use a transformer but just get a plug that will allow you to plug into the wall.

All the Best!

American to Britain